April has an interesting month. We had snow, sun, torrential rain. I started again with antidepressant medication, which has been working REALLY well for me (I’ve been taking it for 4 weeks now).
Books that were on my April TBR:
- Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart (4 stars 7 – my review)
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett (4 stars – my review)
- Mansfield Park by Jane Austen – DNF
Books I picked up this month although they were not on my planned TBR:
- His Bloody Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae by Graeme Macrae Burnet (4 stars)
- Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore (4 stars – my review)
- The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells (3 stars)
- Auto da Compadecida by Ariano Suassuna (5 stars)
- Unsettled Ground by Claire Fuller (3 stars – my review)
- Hail Mary by Andy Weir – DNF
- Passing by Nella Larsen (4 stars)
- Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi (4 stars – my review)
- The Sanatorium by Sarah Pearse (2 stars)
- The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao by Martha Batalha, translated by Eric M.B. Becker (4 stars)
- Detransition, Baby by Torrey Peters (4 stars – my review)
- Piranesi by Susanna Clarke (4 stars)
- Broken (in the best possible way) by Jenny Lawson (4 stars)
- Summerwater by Sarah Moss (4 stars)
- The Maidens by Alex Michaelides (3 stars)
- Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (currently reading)
- Joy at Work: Organizing Your Professional Life by Marie Kondō, Scott Sonenshein (currently reading)
The ratings & status above correspond to the time when I am writing this (April 30) and not the status right now – for example I’ve already finished Metamorphosis.
Wow this was a VERY productive month for reading. This is for sure because I find a lot of comfort in books and read more heavily during times in my life when I’m not feeling that great. Also a lot of these were rather on the short side, which surely helps, and I picked up a few thrillers, which I normally read much faster than other genres. Some hightlights:
- I only two Brazilian books (Euridice Gusmao and Auto da Compadecida) and they were both brilliant. I LOVED them.
- I read more classics than usual, with a total of 4 (Passing, Auto da Compadecida, Metamorphosis, The Invisible Man – I am not counting Mansfield Park here since I DNF-ed it) with mixed but generally positive results.
- I DNF-ed Mansfield Park by Jane Austen and Hail Mary by Andy Weir. I nearly DNF-ed The Sanatorium and The Maidens, too – I was very short in patience this month for books that I did not like much.
- I focused a lot on Women’s Prize for Fiction titles this month, reading 5 books (Transcendent Kingdom, The Vanishing Half, Detransition, Baby, Unsettled Ground, Piranesi) from the longlist.
- My favorite read of the month was Auto da Compadecida by Ariano Suassuna, which was BRILLIANT to listen to. I cannot get a copy in English for my husband, but we DID find the movie with English subtitles on Youtube! Here:
So that was April! Very interesting month, reading-wise and weather-wise. Hopefully I will read more fantasy in May, which is what I am in the mood for right now.